The weekend is coming up, so why not have some family fun with dinner?! Ordering pizza out sounds OK, but what do you put on it? One wants cheese only, another wants meat lovers, another wants veggie – inevitably someone will not be happy, and in turn won’t eat. So why not have everyone make their own pizza.
At our house, we sometimes have a make your own pizza night. When kids make their own pizza, they will be much more likely to eat it. It also gives them a sense that they are helping in the kitchen while building basic food prep skills.
There are plenty of places you can buy pizza dough like Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. Most grocery stores are starting to carry dough as well. Depending on the age you may need to stretch out the dough for your kids, but my 5 year old seems to do just fine and loves “squishying” it.
Decide what topping everyone likes and set up a “pizza bar” with bowls of ingredients (veggies, meats, cheeses, sauces), pat out your dough on a baking sheet, and have at it. Everyone makes their own pizza with whichever topping they want. Each is unique and everyone is happy! Don’t forget the dessert pizza! Use cream cheese or frosting as a base and add some sweet toppings!
If your kids are old enough for sleepovers, this makes a really fun activity for a group of kids!
Some pizza bar ideas:
- VEGGIES: fresh baby spinach, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, tomato slices, artichoke hearts, fresh herbs like basil, oregano, parsley, chives
- FRUITS: dried cranberries, pineapple, apples, pears, raisins
- MEATS: pepperoni, turkey pepperoni, ham, ground beef, ground turkey, sausage, turkey sausage, bacon, Canadian bacon, chicken strips, roast beef, shrimp
- CHEESE: mozzarella, cheddar, feta, goat cheese, cream cheese, Parmesan, Manchego, jack, pepper jack, provolone, fresh mozzarella, bleu cheese
- SAUCES: traditional tomato, Alfredo, olive oil
- DESSERT: cream cheese, frosting, fresh fruit topping, prepared fruit topping, dried fruits, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, granola
- MISC: red pepper flakes, dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil), minced garlic, anchovies
Have fun and let me know how it goes!